Users, Guests FAQ
I would like people to be able to see the main features of my course without actually enrolling. Can I do that?
Yes. Many faculty members want students to be able to enter their course and check out the syllabus and assignments before officially enrolling through Registration and Records. To enable Guest Access, click Customization in the Control Panel. Select Yes next to Allow Guests. View the Managing Users page for more information on guest users, or the FAQ on Add/Modify Users to learn how to add a user to a course.
I would like to provide a guest speaker who is not associated with NIU temporary access to my Blackboard course. What is the process for requesting such access?
To request Blackboard Guest Lecturer IDs for your non-NIU guests, please follow these steps:
- Log in at it.niu.edu with your NIU Account ID and password
- Click the Make a Request button
- Under the Identity and Access Control heading, click the Create Sponsored Account link
- From the Account Sponsorship Type drop down menu, select Non-Paid Affiliate/Volunteer
- Complete the required fields on the form, being sure to specify Blackboard under Account Access
- Verify the information and submit the request using the Submit button at the top of the page
DoIT will fulfill the request within one business day. After the ID has been issued, the course instructor can add the guest to a particular course.
Can I secure the parts of my course I do not want guests to view, like exams and copyrighted materials?
Yes, Guest access can be restricted to only certain course tools. In the Control Panel, click Customization and then click Tool Availability. Make sure that only the desired tools are selected in the Visible to Guests column, and then click the Submit button.
Last Updated: 07/02/2019